Thursday, September 21, 2006

When OLD is NEW!

It seems that one trend that never dies is the revival of old items. The micro-trends might pass like a plane in the night, but the macro-trend of bringing back, that which is considered “old school”, will never die.

That is why I write this article about the next generation of video game console the Nintendo Wii (originally dubbed Nintendo Revolution). I must say I have not owned a Nintendo console since the original NES game system. Don’t get me wrong I have visited many of my friend’s houses who have owned the N64, GameCube, and various other protégés of the early system. I have been more of a Playstation fan and have enjoyed the solid titles Playstation had to offer owning the Playstation and PS2.

What now draws my attention to the soon-to-be released Nintendo Wii the most is the ability to play old or classic games from the now outdated systems of the past. I can picture myself sitting at home and once again playing the original Zelda or Mario Bros game without going through the pain staking activity of blowing on the game and then with laser precision trying to get it to settle just right in the console so that I maybe able to play (oh the joys of the classic NES).

One thing I have noted that have also been persuaded me to go back to Nintendo is the huge price disparity between it and its competitors. Microsoft’s Xbox 360 debuted at a whopping $299 and $399 for the basic and premium versions. Granted what you are getting is a powerful micro-computer in a box with a hard drive and the ability to play games. The Playstation 3 has been rumored to be coming out with a price tag around the same $499 and $599 for the console unit but does tote the ability to play Blue-Ray disc capabilities.

Personally I am looking for a console that can provide me the opportunity to play some of the current games, and have the opportunity to download and play classic games reliably for a small fee. So once again the old adage that “Old is New” still rings true in the world. I sit eagerly awaiting the release of the Nintendo Wii and the ability through Virtual Console to play the wicked fun classic games.

The Dude Abides.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your starting price point for the xbox 360 is off by about $100