Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Buyer Beware: Sony Customer Support Woes

My $600 dollar 200+ lb. Paper Weight Story...


Digg!

--------------------
I am posting this not to bitch about Sony, but to let people know so they can be better prepared to avoid have a $600 dollar 200+ lb. paper weight on their TV stand.

Skip to the end for picture!
--------------------

Ok, so I go to sit down this weekend to watch some of my favorite TV shows I had TiVo’d this week and when I clicked to turn on my TV the damn thing wouldn’t work. I was like “huh” this isn’t happening so I checked all the cables made sure the outlet was working and I tried it again. The only sign of life I could see was the blinking stand by light on the TV set. It was doing it to spite me I tell you “blink,” “blink,” “ha ha,” “blink,” “blink,” “sucker,” and this almost drove me to toss the set out the window (except for the fact that I cannot lift it by myself.)

So I do what any good person would and I Google the model number to see if I hit a wrong setting, or left it in sleep mode. And this is when my nightmare began…

…there are several unhappy customers with the same problem I am having.

And even a website devoted to finding a solution:
http://www.pechorin.com/m/2004/03/09/Sony_Trinitron_display_malfunction_HELP-210431.html

One customer was lucky enough to get Sony to pay for his repair AND labor costs:

First of all, Sony DID pay all of my repair costs, parts and labor. I had to stay on the phone for an hour and go through about 6 different levels of customer service. I told them that I was reading all of the complaints on the Internet about this particular model and that I knew they had made a defective TV with this brand, so I wasn't going to quit until they fixed it at their cost. They hemmed and hawed, saying it was out of warranty. Then they agreed to pay for parts. After listening to me tell them that a 1-year old set that I paid $600 for should not be broken, that Sony is a billion-dollar corporation, and that I was reading hundreds of examples from people who had experienced the exact same problems with this set, they finally agreed to fix the set at their cost, which they did.

I took it to a service technician they suggested, who turned out to be a jerk, but I can live with that. I took a week to fix it, and I had to stay on Sony the entire time, especially when they tried to say they were only paying for parts, but they did eventually pay for the entire thing.

Just so you know, the technician told me that this TV is defective. The boards are bad. It's the A and C boards. They go out after 6 months to a year. He said the best thing you can do is to turn off your TV after watching it (don't leave it on all day or night). And to expect the boards to go bad even after replacing them. He also said Sony is aware of the problem. Sony tried to tell me they would have put this info on their web site if that were the case, but, obviously, their own recommended service technician says differently


A bit ridiculous that someone should have to FIGHT for a repair on such an investment.

The best suggestion I found was:

The picture tube in the Trinitrons from year “X” (insert the year your TV was made here) are crap and am lucky it lasted as long as it did. Solution: What until the sun has set, put the television into your vehicle (make sure the suspension can handle the load), find a business that has dumpsters large enough to accommodate a piece of s**t that large, and gently put the TV into the bottom of the dumpster by hurling that 800 dollar raping (compliments of Sony) with enough force to insure it reaches terminal velocity before it reaches the steel floor of the dumpster. Quickly leave the scene, curse profusely all the way home, and swear to never buy anything from Sony again

So I make my attempt to contact Sony Support… I would have had a better time banging my head against the wall first so the headache I had when I was done didn’t feel as bad.



Great I tell them two things and they tell me I need service… DUH! I would not have contacted your to find that out.



By this time I was fuming… getting the same cookie-cutter answer… ERRRR!




This was my breaking point… So I decided to follow through and let people be aware of this kinda of crappy service. But he did say “I’m sorry for the inconvience about the TV.”

Your sorry, then why don’t you help me fix this damn POS that weighs over 200 lbs. They expect me to drive this 1 hour and then PAY to have someone fix it.

My phone conversations were not much better… I kept getting similarly the same answers and no one would acknowledge what the problem was or agree to pay for the repair / labor. This TV was only 1 yr and 15 days old when it broke a few days ago…

I used to be a Sony faithful owning a DVD player, Digital Camera, and several other pieces of equipment. NOT ANYMORE, I was going to buy one of their high end MiniDV cameras, but won’t do it risking another meltdown from faulty equipment.

Here is a final pic of the monster:

No comments: